This week’s free shape is a perfect one for some quick DIY art. Here I took a store-bought primed canvas and turned it into a bright and cheery home decor piece with a little acrylic paint, vinyl, and my CAMEO.
- Start by selecting your background color palette. I wanted my colors to look like a sunset I’d recently seen, so I chose blues, purples, pinks, and oranges out of my acrylic craft paint stash.
- Paint your canvas with a coat of gesso if it has not already been primed. Then paint broad strokes of each color and blend them a bit. I wasn’t too concerned about perfect blending, since the vinyl design was the actual focal point of my piece.
- I wanted my sentiment to appear in a vertical arrangement, so I cut apart the words in my sentiment design using the Knife Tool. Then I cleaned up any rough edges on my four separate words using the Point Editing Tool.
- Rearrange the words vertically. I also needed to resize the “what” part of my design slightly so that the vertical sentiment looked a little more cohesive.
- Add a pretty floral silhouette shape to your design and cut all of this out of black vinyl. Weed and transfer the vinyl to your painted canvas using the scraper tool and transfer paper.
- I also cut a a strip of black vinyl to use around the perimeter of my piece to finish off the edges.
Sometimes the free shape just takes a few quick snips to be exactly the design you were looking for! How are you going to use it?